It is of utmost importance for the University to have an accurate count of our Service Learning offerings. In accordance with the Academic Vision, Service Learning furthers the University in its mission and vision through this innovative pedagogy.
Courses utilizing the pedagogy of Service Learning are designated and searchable in the Peoplesoft system. We ask all faculty who utilize service learning to complete this submission process in order to get your course designated. Having courses designated will allow the University and the Office of Public Engagement have accurate information for reporting and quality control purposes. It will also provide students necessary information about their coursework.
* Please note that once your course is designated as SL, it will continue to be designated. If the course number is no longer associated with Service Learning, please email email@example.com.
*See application below.*
Once submitted, your application will be sent to the Office of Public Engagement and will then be reviewed by the Service Learning Committee.
In completing this application and upon receiving the service learning designation you can anticipate several benefits:
1 – Students will have clear expectations of service learning activities and participation when they sign up for your class.
2 – Academic Advisers will have the ability to communicate service learning specific courses with students.
3 – You will have access to support from the Offices of Public Engagement and the Service Learning Program in addition to the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) for your course.
4 – Service Learning courses can and should be reported in Digital Measures self-evaluation at the end of the year under categories such as “Teaching Innovations and Other Pedagogical activities”; “Other Instructional Activities”; “Public and Community Service”; “Other Industry/Faculty Collaboration”.
5 – You can contribute to a growing group of community engaged scholars.
Courses will be reviewed on a rolling basis and faculty will be notified of any specific deadlines.
*Courses will automatically be re-designated in the Peoplesoft System. If a course will be taught by a different professor and will not be SL, please let firstname.lastname@example.org aware so it can be undesignated.
Please be sure your syllabus includes:
– the definition of service learning in syllabus
– a definition for reflection and add specific placeholders for reflective activities throughout the semester in the syllabus and how that will benefit student learning
– why you have decided to utilize service learning and how this teaching strategy lines up with meeting goals and objectives
– description of the project/s or activities and how they will help meet course goals objectives in syllabus