Our mission is to assist faculty and students reach their goals of service and research in mutual collaboration with communities.
Service Learning is a pedagogy that promotes the formation of collaborative, sustainable partnerships between the university and the community. Faculty members and students work together with community partners to identify solutions to society's most pressing issues; food justice, social equality, health disparities, homelessness, economic and small business development, education, climate change, transportation systems, and clean, sustainable energy and air systems.
Service Learning develops students as active learners who become stakeholders in their own education. The integration of course content, community work, and reflection fosters an active learning environment that strengthens students' social, moral, professional, and civic development.
Service Learning connects disciplines to help solve multidimensional issues that our society faces in mutual collaboration with our communities. It enables faculty to be creative and innovative with their research questions pertaining to community needs and allows students to be part of that reciprocal process.
How can we help you?
- Community Partner identification, outreach, facilitation, communication and logistical support
- Course and project brainstorming
- Idea formation and strategy
- Course and curriculum development
- SL Course Designation application and process
- Pedagogical support
- Critical Reflection assistance
- Faculty development for SL preparation
- Faculty and Student Research & Engaged Scholarship
- Advertising of Community Partner Opportunities
- Presentations to classes, departments, community partners
- Assist with IRB, OSP, and other administrative paperwork
- Co-author/assist with papers, grants, articles, and presentations
Service Learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.